Spreading the word about D

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 13:36:07 PDT 2008

Helmut Duregger wrote:
> Simen Haugen Wrote:
>> For me, the primary cavecat is it's speed. The editor stops for several
>> seconds very often.
>
> I have to second that. It's just to slow on my AMD64 3200+. I suspect the indexer does most of the harm. It really pauses 10+ seconds sometimes, which is totally annoying while typing.
> But I sure will use it when I get a faster computer.
>
> A feature I missed so far was refactoring, just basic, I like the way you can rename methods in Java.

I have a (much) faster computer, and it still pauses for up to fifteen
seconds, sometimes more, especially when using DWT.  I also found that
it uses so much memory that Eclipse cannot start with a memory limit
high enough to support it.  I have 4 gigs of RAM, and Eclipse doesn't
support a whit beyond 1098 mb or something like that.

So yes, there are still some issues with Descent, though I'm excited for
the next release in hopes that it'll be better.  Even with its problems
it's the best IDE I've yet seen (according to my personal preferences,
which are very pro-Eclipse).

Oh, my chip is a dual-core 2.5Ghz Athlon 64 X2, so it's not a weak chip
by any stretch of the imagination.