Spreading the word about D

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 04:26:06 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> The community is willing to take that job on itself. That'll improve
>> many aspects of the site without any work on your part. you can continue
>> to work on DMD without troubling yourself with maintaining a website.
>> isn't it a win-win situation for all of us? all we need is your approval
>> Also, a community site can have several maintainers which can split the
>> work among themselves and delegate some of the work to the community at
>> large (like submitting code examples, articles, etc to the site).
>>
>> This can be a huge step forward for D.
>
> How would that be different from a wiki?

Personally I hate wikis. I really don't see a point for their existence.
They do not add anything new accept a non standard syntax. Why should I
bother to learn a new syntax when I already know [x]html? besides, what
if you want to switch to a different wiki system in the future with a
different syntax? all those wiki systems basically reinvented html, and
I prefer to use the standard, original and more flexible format.
besides, CMS systems provide a WYSIWYG editor for html, so you don't
even need to learn html to add content to the site.

I think it'd be better to use a system that uses html or xml or any
other standard file format for content of the site. that way, if in the
future there's a need to switch to a different system, there'll be no
need to convert all the content to a different syntax.

Besides, real CMSs have many more features than a wiki and are
extensible with plugins: you can have anything from a site with just
static content to a web application with an online store, an online
photo gallery, etc.