Spreading the word about D

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 06:22:09 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:g3njpj$2gh6$2 at digitalmars.com...

> What's better about google groups? (I find the Thunderbird newsreader
> better than g.g.)

For me, the worst thing about my newsgroup reader is that it's on my local
machine.  All the state about what I've read and haven't is stored here --
on my Windows partition of my desktop.  If I want to read the NGs from
anywhere else: my laptop, my Linux partition, someone else's computer, a
public computer -- it's impossible to tell what I have and haven't read.
It's also frustrating because I have to have a newsgroup client, which isn't
always possible on public machines, or else I face the cold wrath of the
horrible web interface.

If I could access everything through Google, bam, all problems solved.  I'd
even be able to read the newsgroups on my cell phone.

In short: when it comes to the internets, distributed state sucks.