Spreading the word about D

David Ferenczi raggae at ferenczi.net
Tue Jun 24 04:49:57 PDT 2008

Clay Smith wrote:

> Couldn't find a specific thread devoted to this topic, so started.
>
> What do you think is the best way to promote D?
>
> Here are some ideas I already know about and have seen used successfully.
>
> 1. Articles - Write D articles and post on digg/reddit
> 2. Tutorials - Teach D newcomers how to use D
> 3. Libraries - Write a library for D / help out an existing D library
>
> Here is a link that is also relevant to the subject:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/howto-promote.html
>
> I'm wondering, what are all the awesome, zany, weird, or unique ways you
> can think of to promote the D language? Did I cover everything? Are
> there more effective ways of promoting the language?

For a successful promotion I think some precondition should be met:
1) The compiler should be (almost) bugfree, so that the user has no doubt,
whether the used language construct is worng or the compiler has a bug.
Yes, the language specification may give a hint, but a solid reference
compiler is essential.
2) The documentation on the web site often lacks of deeper explanations
(and/or examples), which would help to understand the features and the
correct usage of them. It would be good to see a motivation->solution->best
practice like explanations to most of the features. (What is the D-ish
solution?)

These should cover all the languge issues, but the goal is to have market
share. So we need to go further:

3) In case of development for PC architectures, we need libraries,
libraries, and libraries, if D wants to be able to compete with C# and
Java. The same goes for script langugages, like Python, Perl, and Ruby. D
must be not just a superior language but must provide a complete collection
of libraries.
4) In case of embedded development the libraries are not absolutely
neccessary. (It depends.) E.g firmware development rarely needs libraries.
And this is the field, where D can show it's real potetntial. In the
embedded development there is one and only language, at the moment, C. I
think I don't have to speak too much about its weeknesses. But D has no
chance, till 99% of the controllers come with a C compiler. (And mostly no
other compiler is available, maybe in rare cases ada or C++.) So the
promotion of D should strongly consider the microchip manufacturer
componies. You may say, that D must be wide spreaded first, and then the
microchip manufacturers will switch, but I'm not sure. I think D should be
also bundled, so that it will be also an immedate option for embedded
development. If I just mention functional safety, which really needs the
technological advances of D, the chances are clear. Safety is a buzzword
nowadays and it can generate quite a good promotion for D. I think D could
easily take over the embedded development from C, and I would strongly
concentrate on this area.