Error derived from Exception is WRONG, DAMNIT

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 20:17:51 PST 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> It does as of the last Tango release.  A third-party plug-is is still required to actually generate the trace,
> but it's not unlikely that we'll bundle these libraries in a future release.  That said, I think there are valid
> reasons why tracing may not be preferable.  For one thing, generating a stack trace causes a noticeable
> application slow-down, at least with flectioned.  Unless the trace will be displayed to the user, there's
> really no reason to have them.
>

> Sean

It would be really nice if the trace included line numbers rather than
addresses. Sure, there's addr2line, but it's rather annoying to have to
invoke that, so I usually still have to employ tracing code.

But that would be much slower.

Could you do some sort of lazy evaluation of stack traces? I think the
answer is at best 'not without some help from the compiler', since you
can catch and rethrow and call functions in between.