Lisp like lists and a problem with TANGO fromStringz

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Mar 3 12:22:57 PST 2008

Oskar Linde>DMD/GDC also seems unable to inline the _d_arrayappendcTp call which would be one reason for the rather poor performance overall.<

I see.

--------------

kov_serg:
> 1st do not use clock function -- it measure processor time for current thread. Simply use funtion that measure the time passed.

Okay. I usually use wall clock timings (I haven't used it here to avoid initialization times). Note that I have used a Pentium3 and the system was well unloaded. So I think the actual wall clock time was close.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

That's a very rich article! I'll read it.

> http://leitl.org/docs/comp/AMD_block_prefetch_paper.pdf

Very interesting, I have read it, but it's a bit too much maniac for me still :-) Compiler writers must help us for such things ;-)

> 2nd reason is CPU cache behaviour. Turn it off and compare again.

I don't understand how switching off a part of the CPU can help my tests show more real results.
(And I don't know how to do it.)

In this forum there are lot of people that know much more than me,
bye and thank you very much to both,
bear hugs,
bearophile