We need to clarify if 'real' is the 'default floating point type' or not.

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 20:48:33 PST 2008

"Ameer Armaly" <ameer.armaly at furman.edu> wrote in message
news:fqiaio$29mc$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I used to think fixed-size types were more optimal, but in retrospect how
> often do you _really_ care about the maximum value of an int? There are
> probably some, but more often than not I find myself wanting an integer
> rather than an integer at least x bits wide. Maybe we just ought to make
> int whatever type is fastest, and call the current int something
> different, maybe dword?

I (and my friends) am starting to find D's choice of fixed-size int types a
bit irritating since we've been writing an x86-64 kernel in D.  I can't tell
you how many times we've caused bugs by using int/uint instead of
long/ulong.

And don't even get me started on why "long" and "ulong" are awful names.

(Hint: they're not correct on all platforms.)

(they're normal on 64-bit.)

(I'll stop now.)