Tango FileRoots

Ty Tower tytower at hotmail.com.au
Mon Mar 3 21:48:27 PST 2008

Jesse Phillips Wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 17:02:33 -0500, Ty Tower wrote:
>
> > Lars Ivar Igesund Wrote:

> >> The unix root / isn't the most useful thing to ask for, thus mtab is
> >> used to show all mounted devices.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lars Ivar Igesund
> >> blog at http://larsivi.net
> >> DSource, #d.tango & #D: larsivi
> >> Dancing the Tango
> >
> > ftab mounts the original devices and empowers them mtab looks after the
> > devices added later ie plugging in the usb stick or something like that
> >
> > is the  file used in that sort of context?
>
> it can't, it reads the file when called, so it will only get already
> mounted devices, a file change listener of some sort would have to be
> created to track later mounted devices.
>
> For me must of the mounted items in mtab are useless, but it can be
> easily version'd out as needed.

Probably should add (perhaps you already know)
 /etc/fstab          Lists the filesystems mounted automatically at startup  by the mount -a command (in /etc/rc or equivalent startup file).

 /etc/mtab         A list of currently mounted file systems. Setup by boot scripts and updated by the mount command.

So if you want a list of what's mounted right now mtab is the place to go