Tango FileRoots

Ty Tower tytower at hotmail.com.au
Tue Mar 4 01:07:39 PST 2008

BCS wrote:

> Reply to ty,
> isn't there something in /proc that grovels in the kernel? I would
> rather get info from the kernel than a state file updated by some
> apps. (I don't have a *nux box handy to try with)

Heh heh ! This is classic . Pardon my humorous response. When we
grovel in the dirt we get down and dirty lying and squirming in the
dirt.

 I don't know but you probably are saying that there is something in
the kernel that returns that information as well. I can't say . I am
not that familiar with the kernel but my understanding is
that /etc/mtab is updated by the kernel as each device is added or
removed instantly. I don't think any applications act on it except
maybe Hal.

And did you mean "*nix"  as Unix/Linux box ,I think so