new, pattern matching, scoping

renoX renosky at free.fr
Tue Mar 4 06:25:55 PST 2008

bearophile Wrote:

> A nice article that shows why D may be better without the "new" statement (and Python just uses () to instantiate, but D may need a finer control during struct/object creation):
> http://www.scs.stanford.edu/~dm/home/papers/c++-new.html

Very interesting, thanks. You're right: D would be better to follow his advice (though I suspect that it may prove harder than it seems).

[cut]
> With the closures of D 2.x, D may need to improve its scoping rules to something more clean:
> http://tratt.net/laurie/tech_articles/articles/designing_sane_scoping_rules

Also interesting, although I think the way she oppose nonlocal and global is quite artificial, those are different scope with different usage, and I wasn't surprised at all by the way Python behave in her first example, even though I don't know much about Python.

Thanks for these links.
renoX