[OT] Ty Tower needs to go.

Darryl Bleau user at example.net
Thu Mar 6 10:05:41 PST 2008

Janice Caron wrote:
> On 06/03/2008, Lionello Lunesu <lionello at lunesu.remove.com> wrote:
>>> I don't think anyone is suggesting moderating /this/ forum.
>> Oops, that's what I've understood..
>
> At the start of this thread, Jarrett Billingsley asked the question:
> "Is there anything that can be done /short of making the boards
> moderated?/" (My emphasis). So Jarrett was asking how this forum could
> be made less trolly /without/ making it moderated.
>
> Sadly, I suspect the answer is nothing. Banning an individual won't
> help, because individuals are identified solely by the "From" field in
> an email header, which is easily faked. Thus, a banned individual
> could just invent a new identity and carry on, and an innocent
> individual could be impersonated and banned unjustly.

A by invitation/petition only forum, with logins controlled by an
administrator, would solve this type of thing. It wouldn't require
someone to dedicate their time to reading and approving every post, but
if someone got out of hand, their login could be revoked.

Reading the forum could be open to all, but posting would be limited to
authenticated users only. This would also remove the posting-as-another
forgeries.

Login petitions wouldn't have to be anything more formal than "Hi, my
name is Joe, I like D, and would like to participate in this forum.".
Petitions would not be denied without good reason.

A formally booted member could of course come back and petition again
under a different name/ip/whatever but if they come back and aren't a
problem the second time then, it's still problem solved.

Just a thought.