[OT] Ty Tower needs a fair go.

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Thu Mar 6 11:01:23 PST 2008

Ty Tower wrote:
> what you call bigotry is self preservation. We have been using fear of
strangers to keep us alive for millions of years.
> It won't change just because you quaintly would like it to.

While you are correct in that, to be totally correct, bigotry and a fear
of strangers as self preservation do relate closely and overlap each
other. In this day and age the word bigotry has a much narrower
connotation; unfounded, unwarranted detrimental behavior to a group
based on some demographic property. (If you think that is a pile, I can
say with confidence you don't live around here.)

I see nothing wrong with noticing that 90% of group X punches you in the
face when you do Y and acting accordingly. But I don't known of anyone
(rational) who calls that bigotry.

OTOH the post in question is gratuitous and does *not* fall into the
domain of rational self preservation. Anyone who says differently is
selling something.