[OT] Ty Tower needs to go.

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Thu Mar 6 11:25:15 PST 2008

Yigal Chripun wrote:

> as a person who lives in a country where what you're describing is the
> norm (Israel) I'm already used to being checked/searched/etc everywhere
> I go and indeed if I'm not searched at some place I feel less secure. I
> guess that's something that you can get used to.

While I may be /able/ to get used to it, I don't /want/ to get used to
it. As long as there are other ways...

> It all depends on the size of the potential damage compared to the size
> of the inconvenience. in order to  prevent terrorist attacks and suicide
> bombers, it's worth the inconvenience...

Your situation differers a /lot/ from mine (USA) but personally my
thoughts run with Ben Franklin: "They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
As long as the trip to the airport, the trip from the airport and the
meal on the airplane are each individually way more dangerous than the
flight its self, I think that the security is more than enough. (I get
the feeling that the security you describe is needed to keep things that
safe over there)

> from experience i can tell you how stupid the airport security is in
> Europe and the US from an Israeli point of view (we do have the best
> security due to our unfortunate circumstances) - when I visited Italy
> for example a year ago, the security checked my M&M dispenser
> thoroughly, and prevented my to have my usb-thumb drive with me, but
> they just disregard the luggage entirely. so, if i had a 10kg bomb
> that's ok, but a bomb in my thumb-drive was avoided.
> the point is - it's not only a question whether there are security
> checks in place, but also what kind of checks.

I once talk to a collage student over here and near as I can recall he
said "I'd rather have security that makes me /feel/ more secure than
actually makes me more secure", and that is a near exact quote. The best
security in place today in the US to stop another 9/11 is that the
/passengers/ wouldn't let it happen.