Sadness

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:43:26 PST 2008

Jascha Wetzel Wrote:

> Dan wrote:
> > I would probably take up renewed interest in D if it supported the x86-64 - both from D source and inline assembler.  The x86-32 is obsolete.
> >
> > At that point, my only major gripe would be that hello world takes up 80kb.
>
> GDC supports x86-64, i'm using it on a daily basis.
> The large-executable-discussion has popped up repeatedly. If you're
> interested in the results, you can search the NG.

Yeah.  It pops up repeatedly, and still they never fix it.  It ultimately boils down to them including everything

-=[ even when it's not used ]=-

What use does printf("hello world"); have for the GC?  Why does it need to have the entirety of phobos instead of just those things that printf() uses?

It's even getting compiled in for extern(C) main() when you're not even using _moduleInit() and such.

That extra 80kb of unremoveable heft is now the only reason sufficient to prevent me from using D.  I can probably write my entire program in < 100kb in assembler (with huge amounts of time and dedication)

Regards,
Dan