Who favors the current D1 situation?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Mar 6 21:33:33 PST 2008

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> I myself would like to see D1 get all new features that won't break
>> existing source code.
>>
>> Things like:
>> * New string literals
>>   - q{a=b} D-token string syntax,
>>   - delimited strings, q"(...)"
>>   - heredocs, q"EOF...
>> * IFTI that works even if you specify one parameter,
>> * Enhanced is expression
>>   - is ( Type Identifier : TypeSpecialization , TemplateParameterList )
>>   - is ( Type Identifier == TypeSpecialization , TemplateParameterList )
>> * foreach(i; 0..10) syntax (ForeachRangeLiteral)
>> * Overload sets
>
> You mean a D2 without const?

:-)

Without breaking changes.  For the most part that appears to be
const/invariant/enum right now, yes.

I also didn't mention closures because I think maybe they are likely to
cause existing D1 programs to behave differently.

I also didn't mention __traits because it seems still in incubation.
That's what D2 is perfect for.  Putting features in incubation till they
prove stable.

So yeh let me state that I don't think changes to D2 should be
backported instantly.  They should get tried out in D2 and survive a few
releases before showing up in D1.

--bb