Who favors the current D1 situation?

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Fri Mar 7 09:12:50 PST 2008

"Aarti_pl" <aarti at interia.pl> wrote in message
news:fqrsbq$186c$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Saaa pisze:
>> If all the changes are non breaking ones and if it doesn't take any
>> significant time to port them, why then are people still against it?
>>
>> Why does everybody keep pointing out that other things need fixing.
>> That is irrelevant, if porting the extra feature to D1 won't take any
>> time.
>>
>> I would applaud any feature coming to the stable D1 branch.
>> Everybody should be warned that D2 might break at any release, but D1 can
>> safely be used and when lucky it will even be improved without breaking
>> older D1 code (its like giving away presents).
>

> I see two important problems with backporting new features from D 2.0 into
> D 1.0 branch:
>
> 1. Porting bigger chunks of code can introduce new bugs into 1.0 branch.
> Please note that 2.0 is not tested as well as 1.0, so it is more than
> probable that it will happen. Also it is possible that some of new
> features can interact with other features (old or new ones) so it will
> make porting a headache: you will always have to think what should be
> ported to make the whole thing working in 1.0.

A few new bugs would not bug me that much, as long as the older code won't
be effected.
About the headache: If it is a headache, Walter leave it as it is.
I'm only pro giving D1 new features if it won't effect the current release
speed, which was the assumtion in the first post.

> 2. Semantics of new features in D 2.0 branch can change until 3.0 branch
> will be crated. It basically means that, when new features will be
> continuously ported to D 1.0, then 1.0 branch will no more be stable. You
> will not be able to create any program in D 1.0 (using new features) and
> be sure that it won't break in future, because this features can be
> changed later.

This does not apply. No unstable feature must be allowed to be ported to D1
as it is given that D1 is stable, meaning no new feature may break older
code.

> In my opinion there is not much sense in porting 2.0 compiler features
> into 1.0 branch. Also creating branch 1.5 does not make much sense for me.
> If I would like to use all new features of D, I would just use 2.0 branch.
> That said, I really appreciate effort of porting Phobos 2.0 into 1.0 (std2
> project in dsource). Some of new features of Phobos 2.0 are really useful,
> and Phobos 1.0 badly lacks them.

Making yet another branch is crazy yes. What you say about phobos applies to
D as well and if the two points you made were invalid you would agree that
extra features are nice presents to get ;)