Efficient dynamic dispatch without virtual function tables: the SmallEiffel compiler

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Mar 7 12:07:06 PST 2008

Craig Black:
>Some more dispatch sites are removed after the type inference algorithm has been performed,

ShedSkin has one of the most powerful type inference engines around, but it gets rather slow. So the things you say too probably require a cost in compile time.

> Virtual function calls are a common bottleneck iobject-oriented code.

Do you have any static to support what you say here? I have read an article that says that in typical OOP C++ code virtual calls slow down code by not too much:
"The Direct Cost of Virtual Function Calls in C++" (1996, oldish):
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~urs/oocsb/papers/oopsla96.pdf

Bye,
bearophile