Who favors the current D1 situation?

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Mar 7 13:42:37 PST 2008

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 06:30:50 +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:
>
>> Derek Parnell wrote:
>>> I work with the banking industry and COBOL holds its head up high in that
>>> world.
>>>
>> And has it const?
>

> ROFLMAO

No I take it?

Still it's not necessarily a useful datapoint since it was designed long
before "const" existed.

But it is still updated, right?  I remember the company I was working
for losing a sale to some big customer who decided to go with some fancy
tarted up Object COBOL thing.  Ooh yeh yeh this is the one
http://www.microfocus.com/products/more/ObjectCOBOLDeveloperSuite/index.asp.

MicroFocus.  Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time.

Anyway, they added object orientation to Cobol, but not const?  That
tells you something.

What's the deal with const in C#?  Anyone care to give a summary?  I see
conflicting things in my googling.  Somethign about readonly objects,
but no const/readonly for parameters to functions?

--bb