is this FUD?

B Jakob benzofurans-mail001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 02:37:50 PST 2008

hi
this is my first post - so hello everybody ;-)

I hate to ask questions that have been ask over and over again. I also
not really fond of legal questions. But I have to ask some licencing
questions about dmd and gdc.

As a newbie in the D land I have to say that trying to find information
about lincencing of D is a real seek and hide game.

the reasing why I got interested in this again is the following
statement of this blog article

(http://leonardo-m.livejournal.com/52462.html):

-------------------------

"[...] GDC, the only working GCC frontend (http://dgcc.sf.net/ ), is
largely copyrighted to DigitalMars. This makes it impossible to
officially include it in the GCC distribution. [...]"

------------------------

here is a thread on a digitalmars list that points in the same direction:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/D/gnu/Any_progress_with_inclusion_of_GDC_into_the_main_GCC_trunk_2695.html

BUT !!

on the wiki4d page they say:
(http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FaqRoadmap#Licensing)

"The DMD front-end source is available under dual ( GPL and  Artistic)
licens"

even the best piece of information from George Wrede on this subject
doesn't make it clear to me if the comment on the blog is true or not:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/37364.html#N37364

So please, can somebody help with this?

thanks

//benzo