Rebuild - an annoying feature

Ty Tower tytower at hotmail.com.au
Tue Mar 11 01:01:52 PDT 2008

Neil Vice Wrote:

> "Ty Tower" <tytower at hotmail.com.au> wrote:
> > Thats a fair question
> > I'm not using it . I hav'nt been able to use it as I have not been
> > satisfied with the stability of what I have downloaded.
> > I hav'nt used 2.xx yet I'm still on 1.XX
> > So I am experimenting with "D" . In fact I am now looking and learning
> > because I have wasted so much time trying to get it to a useable state I
> > will now become an ardent critic of "D" in "C" forums-good critics know
> > thei subject matter
>
> I don't recall you having any gripes with D as a programming language. Your
> issues seem to be with 3rd-party open-source libraries and tools contributed
> by the D community. Allow me to attempt to address them individually.
>
> Firstly, I also dislike DSSS and rebuild. I don't recall particular
> criticisms with them and I certainly feel no ill will towards the developers
> =) However, particularly the fact that rebuild is/was slow to support
> significant front-end changes in D2 I couldn't wait for it to catch up. What
> do you use to build C code? Make? Make will work just fine with D as well...
> my preference happens to be 'cook' but either way - a criticism of rebuild
> is not a criticism of D any more than a criticism of Make is a criticism of
> C.
>
> As for DWT, a quick visit to the DSource DWT site would indicate that the
> project is still under development. Given this, should you not expect some
> issues? Having said that, as an experiment I am very tempted to install
> linux (Debian being my distribution of choice) and attempt to get the DWT
> examples working to see whether your outrage is justified.
>
> > Note that the support for Windows users is probably a lot better as the
> > distributed .exe files have to be right . I suspect the problem is with
> > Linux/Unix where the download must be compiled and there are so few user
> > in this category that no one has looked at this fully yet .
>
> It would greatly surprise me if there were not many linux D users. I would
> have expected linux users to be more willing to "experiment" with a new
> language like D as a rule... In my experience, doing the same thing under
> Windows and linux, where a tool is available under Windows to perform the
> task, usually requires a bit more effort/patience under linux. That's not to
> say that the result isn't worth the wait, but the very fact that compilation
> is often required means that there is more room for error. How long have you
> been a linux user? I'd be surprised if you hadn't experienced similar
> difficulties using applications other than DMD.
>
> > I originally looked at "D" and thought it was worth knowing about .
> > Getting into it I intended to write a program which needed SWT or
> > something like it . If you look there is nothing stable for Unix so I went
> > to dwt which is "alpha".
>
> And what windowing toolkit comes out-of-the-box with C exactly? I'm not
> [...]

Interesting read Neil and nothing there I could not agree with -Thanks
I have dwt working and am experimenting -Its worth the look and I do like the "D"  language itself. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say but isn't dmd just a wrapped up gcc?
Anyway no matter , its rebuild wrapped as dsss thats giving me problems and getting good installation notes from digitalmars and tango. All of D Tango Phobos dwt was new for me a month ago and the old configure ,make ,make install always worked for me . I must have had failures but only back at least 5 years ago
Cheers