how to write a const-object container array?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:26:04 PDT 2008

"sn" wrote
>I want a container (array) which holds const-object, i.e. when someone get
>an
> object out of this container, he cannot modify it using that reference.
>
> NOTE: I don't want the container array itself to be const, I may insert or
> remove object from that array.
>
> I tried:
>
> class A {}
>
> int main() {
>  const(A) ca[2];
>  const a = new A();
>  ca[0] = a;
>
>  return 1;
> }
>
> $ dmd constarray.d
> constarray.d(4): Error: slice ca[] is not mutable
> constarray.d(6): Error: ca[0] isn't mutable

Unfortunately, because tail-const for class references doesn't exist, you
cannot do this easily.

There are two ways to do it now.  first, you can use a dynamic array:

const(A)[] ca;
ca ~= new A;

Note that you can't change elements that you have added without doing array
concatenation, so to replace element 5 for instance you have to do:

// replace ca[5] with element e
ca = ca[0..5] ~ e ~ ca[6..$];

The other way is to have an array of tail-const pointers to classes, backed
by heap-allocated references to classes:

const(A)* ca[2];

// this is the easiest way I know how to allocate a class reference on the
heap
A[] tmp = new A[1];
tmp[0] = new A();

ca[0] = &tmp[0];

You can call methods directly on an element:
ca[0].constMethod();

But you can't do comparisons or call the elements' operators if they are
valid for pointer operations:
ca[0]++; // will increment the pointer, not call A.opPostInc()
*(ca[0])++; // this is what is required

Yeah, it's ugly, and consumes lots of extra memory, but it's all we have to
work with until Walter can come up with (or accept an existing proposal for)
a way to have tail-const class references.

-Steve