C++ Resyntaxed

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Mar 13 18:52:55 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> This is a short article I have just found on Reddit that shows a possible alternative syntax for C++:
> "A Modest Proposal: C++ Resyntaxed", Ben Werther & Damian Conway:
> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/ModestProposal.html
>
> It says:
>> The language was designed to ensure that the new syntax was LALR(1) parsable, grammatically unambiguous and required no semantic feedback from parser to tokenizer.<
>
> That reminds me of D :-)

I took a look at the first reference.  The 1980 paper called "Type
syntax in the language "C": an object lesson in syntactic innovation".
There you can see griping about inaccuracies and incompleteness of the
spec which sounds all too familiar to anyone whose been around here
long.  Nice, in a way, to see that ~6 years out of the gate C was still
having such problems.  Means there's hope for D yet.  :-)

--bb