request for moderation

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:05:53 PDT 2008

Anonymous,

I don't agree with Kris' approach either and have told him so plainly; I
believe his hypocracy-crushing crusade is spewing shrapnel at many
innocent bystanders and thus is creating a net-loss in the community
atmosphere.  Further, it comes across as a person who is holding a
grudge, whether he intends that to be so or not. I believe his actions
will do more to blight the Tango name than to cleanse the newsgroup.  I
say this directly because I believe Kris is the kind of person that can
take this directly.  I believe that says a lot of good about the type of
person he is.

Yet, it also gets tiresome hearing (and seeing) examples of
sock-puppetry, accusations of sock-puppetry, and (finally) anonymous
complaints.  Kris has been right to some degree.  He's just carried it
way too far.

/But/ I'm entirely surprised that you (anonymous) are asking for
moderation based on Kris' posts alone considering the recent atmosphere
created by another much more serious problem (partially described in the
previous paragraph). This is such an astounding gaff on your part, that
I'm perplexed at your purpose for posting: you seem to have your
priorities confused, or perhaps you have completely overlooked something.

Perhaps, like I have, you have written to Walter to ask about how he can
fix the problem here? If not, perhaps you should do so now, so that he
can better understand the seriousness of the situation?  I agree that
some sort of moderation is necessary for this group.... more so than
what currently is happening: semi-moderation already exists in the form
of "post-deleting" episodes. Unfortunately that does little to stop the
original poster from posting more or to stop equally malicious posts
from annoyed responders.

Further, several community members here (in good standing!) are directly
responsible for feeding the problem by adopting a philosophy of
"universal acceptance", aka "wishful thinking": that is, they accept the
offender no matter what by (apparently) hoping that if they ignore the
existence of the bad, then the good will flow through.  Honestly, this
is not how real life works; would we accept a murderer, a rapist or a
pedophile "just the way he is"?  Would we assume that if we ignore his
"bad habits" and speak nicely to him, that we will all just get along?

I apologize for the extreme example, but realistically... those that are
intent on being disreputable must be shown that what they do is
unacceptable to the operation of this community.  There is no need to
continually scream or rant at such personalities.  We must /first/
simply refuse to communicate with them so they "get the message".
Second, a good moderating board would eject persistent cases to keep the
seed from destroying or fracturing the group. The "lets just get along"
mentality only works when individuals are willing to moderate themselves
and exercise self-control and courtesy, even when they are wronged.
That said, members who have responded tit for tat are guilty of feeding
the problem in this newsgroup.

Next case: this community has been hit with sock-puppetry, aka "get
even" with the "bad guy" mentality. Please.. may I ask: what in the
world does this achieve?  Can we fix one evil by using another?  Such
actions will only further destroy this group's morale by engendering
distrust and doubt among members.  Apparently it isn't just the
new-comers who are corrupt.  The corruption is right here inside. At
least, that's what these recent episodes are showing based on the
inside it.

I'm afraid letting things go as they are will only encourage the
downward spiral of this whole community, especially since each member
handles the situation as they see fit.  Please, the solution is to avoid
back-biting, refuse response to war-mongers, and be relentlessly
peaceful.  Even so, while I whole-heartedly endorse mercy and compassion
as important qualities, please understand that they are little use to
those that refuse the offering; obviously, these qualities only work on
those that accept them.  Those that respond with rudeness and hatred
should just be persistently ignored, until such a time that Walter (the
only moderator here that I know of) decides to act on the issue.  Those
that counter-post with the same manner are responsible for continuing
the problem.

-JJR