request for moderation

Ty Tower tytower at hotmail.com.au
Sat Mar 15 18:17:56 PDT 2008

John Reimer Wrote:
Further, several community members here (in good standing!) are directly
responsible for feeding the problem by adopting a philosophy of
"universal acceptance", aka "wishful thinking": that is, they accept the
offender no matter what by (apparently) hoping that if they ignore the
existence of the bad, then the good will flow through.  Honestly, this
is not how real life works; would we accept a murderer, a rapist or a
pedophile "just the way he is"?  Would we assume that if we ignore his
"bad habits" and speak nicely to him, that we will all just get along?

I apologize for the extreme example, but realistically... those that are
intent on being disreputable must be shown that what they do is
unacceptable to the operation of this community.  There is no need to
continually scream or rant at such personalities.  We must /first/
simply refuse to communicate with them so they "get the message".
Second, a good moderating board would eject persistent cases to keep the
seed from destroying or fracturing the group. The "lets just get along"
mentality only works when individuals are willing to moderate themselves
and exercise self-control and courtesy, even when they are wronged.
That said, members who have responded tit for tat are guilty of feeding
the problem in this newsgroup.

> -JJR

You tend toward idealism John
Imposing your ideals on this "community"

The problem with this is that it becomes a narrowed forum and free speech no longer applies.
Don't know what they are putting in your water down there but get up and have a go . The world did not become populated by moderation applying ,rather the reverse.
Nobody is trying to take your "community " away from you .
You have a secure place in it but it needs to grow if "D" is to be accepted .
Sometimes these things a religion based . Hope not in your case.