request for moderation

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 05:40:07 PDT 2008

John Reimer wrote:
> Is it easy to ignore?  A number of people have been responding to these
> posts requesting that they stop... so I actually disagree.  Either I'm
> vastly over-estimating the problem or you are vastly ignoring it.

Yes, I am, with almost no effort!

> This is possible, but not the only reason.  I'm surprised that you are
> confident that this poster has been using filtering.

If you want to ignore all of one person's posts and you're not using
filtering, it's your own fault that you have to see their posts.
Thunderbird is free, it runs on about four major operating systems
(sorry, BeOS users), and it supports filtering.

Even if you refuse to use a news client that lets you filter out
people's messages, you can just skip any message from a known and
habitual troll. They don't walk into your living room, tape your eyes
open, and display their messages to you; you have to expend effort to
read their messages. And with a single keypress, you can skip on to the

Now, if two people you respect are flaming each other, that might upset
you, and reasonably so. If you know them well enough, you should contact
them in private and ask them to stop. And if they continue, well, that's
their right. You should then ignore them.

> Actually, it is a problem because filtering will not work if others
> respond and quote the messages of the individual.  I suppose that calls
> for another layer of filtering? :)

Again, spacebar sends you to the next message. Or you could filter
messages that contain the term "Ty Tower wrote:" and get 90% of replies
to his posts, though that includes indirect ones.