request for moderation

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Mar 16 14:57:27 PDT 2008

Kris wrote:
> You also know that Walter has no history of
> confirming or denying the validity of anyone's identity (it would likely be
> highly questionable of him to do so. In Europe that would be illegal, as you
> ought to know, if you live there).

 From time to time, people have requested me to "out" others. I refuse
to, on the following grounds:

1) If people post anonymously, they have a reason to. I respect that.

2) Sometimes people wish to "out" someone else in order to score some
points. I don't respect that.

3) It's none of my business.

4) I didn't know it was illegal in Europe, but that's just another
reason not to do it.

Sometimes, people will ask for XXX's email address so they can contact
them privately. I won't do that, but what I will do is offer to forward
to XXX their request for contact, and leave it up to XXX to choose to
reciprocate or not. This seems to work out well.