Questions about D for a real project

Daniel Lewis murpsoft at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:43:51 PDT 2008

Moritz Warning Wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:23:09 +0000, BCS wrote:
>

> > 4. “What is the current stability of dmd 2.0?” -a. I said alpha. Please
> > correct me if I’m wrong.
> I think alpha is pretty much correct.
>
> > 5. “What is the estimated “ship date” of dmd 2.0?”
> I think to remember Walter mentioned autumn in some post on the NG.
> But I can't find the post in question to verify that statement.
>

> > 3. Same for debuggers. I know ddbg works on windows and for Linux there
> > is a GDB patch and ZeroBugs. However I haven’t seen much recent work on
> > any of these.
> >

> I tried ZeroBugs without much debugger knowledge;
> but I have impression that it works quite nice.
> It showed the source code along with the error line along with the thread
> trace (for the correct thread, afaik).

I would argue for IDA Pro, but it doesn't obfuscate all the stuffing put in with compiled D programs.  Most debuggers don't.

D wraps your main with something like this:

gc_init()
module_ctor()
*your main*
module_dtor()
gc_term()

and seemingly includes the entire Phobos library every time it compiles, regardless of what you actually need in your program.  This means [println("hello world");] comes out at 80kb and tends to clutter things up.

I prefer SciTE for coding in D.  It's got excellent rectangle-selection support, vast multi-language syntax highlighting, and doesn't change what you type (a HUGE peeve of mine)

I recommend using the latest DMD 1.0xx or the latest GDC.  GDC gets less love than DMD, but it's built to GCC backend, so it can actually target more systems than the obsolete x86-32.

Good luck.