Questions about D for a real project

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Mar 16 18:00:02 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Bill,
>
>> BCS wrote:
>>
>>> 4. Direct question to Walter (and the developers of the other tools)
>>> If we were to use D and run into a blocking issue, can we effect your
>>> properties with regards to resolving it? (This assumes that the issue
>>> is not a language design issue.)
>>>
>> You mean "can we affect your priorities"?
>
> http://xkcd.com/326/

http://www.m-w.com -- effect[2, transitive verb]
"""
The more common /affect/ denotes having an effect or influence <the
weather affected everyone's mood>. The verb /effect/ goes beyond mere
influence; it refers to actual achievement of a final result <the new
administration hopes to effect a peace settlement>.
"""

A peace settlement is a final achievement.  "your priorities" are not a
final achievement.  If that's the version of "effect" you meant then you
should have said something more along the lines of:
"can we effect /a change in/ your priorities"  ;-)

(In any case, I don't think you meant to say "properties" which was the
main thing I was trying to verify.)

>> Are you thinking cash here?
>
> Um, that /might/ be on the list... way at the end... in really small
> amounts... a long way after thank you notes, begging, promises of
> citations in the appreciation notes and appealing to your vanity, duty
> and anything else we can including an offer of lunch "if you ever happen
> to be in this neck of the woods".
>
> Now I'm not talking bribes here or anything. More like: "this is a bug,
> everyone says it's a bug, could we please get a fix to it soon?"

Ok, just curious.  If a company is asking for someone to change their
priorities just for them, then it often involves money, at least in the
form of paying for a support contract, or per-incident support.

If you're *not* talking money, then I doubt you'll be able to get any
promises from anyone about prioritizing your company's particular bug
fixes over any others.  Maybe you can get a "sure we'll do what we can"
but that's meaningless, really.

--bb