Quantifying the Performance of Garbage Collection vs. Explicit Memory Management

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Mon Mar 17 09:23:55 PDT 2008

> The are two drawback of their GC:
> 1) The OS needs to be modified so that the VM and the GC communicate.

Perhaps not.  There may be other ways to detect how the VM for virtual
memory (not virtual machine) works without specific OS queries.  It could be
part of the application initialization to determine this.  I don't know
enough details to know whether this is possible.

> 2) It is a moving GC, in the original paper they compares their GC with
> moving and non-moving variant and the moving one win.
>
> For Java this isn't an issue, but for D it is: working with C's library
> wouldn't work if the GC is a moving one..
>
> I don't know how to fix this one..

Perhaps we need to transition away from reliance on non-GC friendly C
library functions?
IMO, a moving GC for D should a high priority, and well worth the extra
work.

-Craig