Quantifying the Performance of Garbage Collection vs. Explicit Memory Management

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Mar 19 12:10:03 PDT 2008

== Quote from Craig Black (craigblack2 at cox.net)'s article
> "renoX" <renosky at free.fr> wrote in message
> > Uh? Does Windows VM provides enough information as needed by the GC in the
> > paper or are you thinking about a totally different GC?
> Are you asking me or Sean?  Sean made the claim that "Windows isn't terribly
> difficult".  If he's right, then Windows provides some sort of provision for
> VM querying for stuff like this.

There are a number of papers on this topic--one being the paper linked in that blog and I believe Hans
Boehm wrote another one.  From what I remember of them, I believe they said that Windows exposes the
necessary hooks already, but a kernel recompile was necessary to do the same thing on Linux.  That
sounds right as well, since a kernel recompile isn't really possible on Windows anyway, so either the
feature would be available or it wouldn't.  The real work would be a fundamental rewrite of how the
mark phase operates.  For a dedicated programmer, I'd estimate it would take about a week.

Sean