Quantifying the Performance of Garbage Collection vs. Explicit Memory Management

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Mar 19 14:17:41 PDT 2008

== Quote from Frits van Bommel (fvbommel at REMwOVExCAPSs.nl)'s article
> [1]: IIRC: When the OS indicates to their GC that it's about to swap
> some of their pages out, it starts a collection and attempts to move the
> live objects from multiple partially-used pages into fewer pages so the
> now-free pages can be released to the OS to prevent the swapping from
> taking place (or swap out the now-empty page they'll then avoid using,
> I'm not sure exactly).
> The cool thing is that they apparently managed to get that working
> pretty well while mostly avoiding pages being swapped back in because of
> collection activity.

Ah nice.  What I remember about the papers I read was that they simply scanned through pages being
swapped out to bookmark any data being referenced.  However, it seems like doing things this way
would require every pointer to be evaluated before being followed to avoid hitting an inactive page.

Sean