Candydoc

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Tue Mar 25 17:45:08 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I agree, though, that ignoring Trolls is more productive than hurling
>  insults at them.

Right.

> The first step to a Troll becoming a non-Troll is to apologize for
> past trolling behavior.

Hmm. This is akin to the 12-year-old mentality, i.e., expecting that
they suddenly display maturity above that of the average poster here,
before they can be forgiven.

It would mean that we are capable (either alone or with the crowd
gathering with us, against them) to make the Troll's life so miserable
that he has no choice but to bow down, become humiliated, and beg for
forgiveness.

This is the behaviour I see all the early morning cartoons teaching my
three kids: after an Epic Fight, the Hero states "Now you either crawl
and apologize, or I'll Righteously Behead you!!! What's it gonna be?"

My kids have watched those every morning (7 days a week, living at my
ex-wive's). I wouldn't be surprised if they'd behave like this as
adolescents or even adults in a newsgroup.

Wanna guess if I think G. Bush grew up watching this kind of cartoons?
Personally Conjuring up the "Axis of Evil" would be a logical result of
this mind set. ("There's those that are with us, and the rest are
Against Us. If you're not our Friend, then you're our Enemy". Good
grief. As if nations, states, corporations, or individuals would only be
Good or Evil, with nothing in between. Gee, so which is it, is your
brother or your mother Evil or Good? Oh, sorry, but this is a yes/no
question, with no other alternatives.)

---

My take on how to address any Troll (especially /not/ talking about Ty,
but very much in general), is to give them time. They'll calm down, once
they feel that the community is not grouping on them. -- And, if they
still don't, then it's time for some action.

This action would obviously be to ignore them.

But still, only as far as the uncalled-for posts are concerned. If the
same "troll" writes some "serious" or "proper" entries in the NG, those
entries should be answered with appropriate correctness, that is, as if
they'd been written by anybody else. And the posts the "troll" writes
that aren't correct, THOSE should be silently ignored (and not even
ridiculed or challenged or offended). Simply ignored.

---

"Let every post earn its answers."