"SFINAE is Evil"

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:15:12 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

> "Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
> news:fsbp54$293h$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> That would be great.  I'd love to try out such a switch.  Though at the
>> moment it would do me no good unless it were added to D1 also.  Though
>> rather than turning it off, I'd rather have a -v kind of switch that
>> prints out a message whenever SFINAE is invoked, maybe with an
>> instantiation stack trace.
>
> Great idea!
>
> <narrator>And with that, the suggestion began its slow, painful descent
> into the depths of the unread old posts of the NG, never to be seen again
> or
> commented on by the very man who could make a difference.  Months later
> many would reminisce about what a good idea it was, and would sigh
> nostalgically over their youthful optimism.</narrator>

I created an enhancement request (#1951) for this.  That should (hopefully)
gain visibility with Walter (and more importantly?) Andrei, who's been
known to fully flex C++'s templates.  Feel free to add individual ideas on
what might be a good alternative to SFINAE.  I really didn't put any in the
enhancement request.