WeakRef updated to better support Tango -- and a question

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Wed Mar 26 16:22:39 PDT 2008

Jason House wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>
>> Jason House wrote:

>>> Ok, so here's my latest experience *after* learning about
>>> http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/PreviousReleases...  I clocked
>>> myself at 45 minutes to do it (with recornding my steps here).  After
>>> breaking my system completely at a few points, I'm now back where I
>>> started, with the two linker errors from the other day :(  Did I do
>>> anything wrong?  Any *other* ideas what could be going wrong?
>>
>> I am awfully sorry for not having noticed this before, those two
>> functions were not part of 0.99.4, but 0.99.5 (they were added to Tango
>> svn immediately after 0.99.4 release). I won't speculate as to how
>> difficult it is to backport just that part, so I will instead ask why
>> upgrading to 0.99.5 is a problem?
>
> Tango 0.99.5 has two independent implementations of split, and both were
> broken.  I submitted a bug report and they are now fixed in SVN.  Last
> night, I upgraded to the latest svn and found string concatenation was
> broken (which I then told to others on #d.tango who verified it)

Yes, the breaking "fix" has been reverted.

>> As for the build process, I believe the documentation is correct and
>> concise and there is little more I can do, especially if you're suspicous
>> of all automatic scripts we create. ;)
>
> I'm only suspicious because I've historically had so much trouble with
> them. The worst was the self-installing binaries that wouldn't print
> anything and
> fail.  You'll noticed buried in my replay of events that the binary-only
> download for 0.99.4 was missing a file.  Even worse, the installation
> failed miserably after using the installer from it.

That's too bad :(

> The source download of 0.99.4 worked better.  My chats on #d.tango
> yesterday indicate that the user libraries are not installed by default
> with the
> installation scripts in lib...  another small oversight with the
> installers.  dsss users won't notice because dsss takes care of that part
> (but not other parts)

Not oversight, more a lack of time to make all parts consistent (DMD and GDC
scripts for instance).

> Later in the night, when I did upgrade to the latest svn version using the
> automated install scripts from the source, I still had the two linking
> errors.  To my utter horror, what I thought was working with the automated
> install scripts from source-only downloads were either failing completely
> or doing the wrong thing!  I then ripped out old Tango copies throughout
> my computer and systematically forced files to be int he right spots.
>
> I don't know why I tend to have so much trouble installing Tango, but I
> always seem to :(

I would appreciate it very much if you could post tickets for any
installation script failures you may still have

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net