general copyright question

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 04:22:14 PDT 2008

Saaa wrote:
>>> Read that clause carefully. The copyright notice, the list of conditions
>>> and the disclaimer should all be included in the documentation or other
>>> materials. You don't need to output a string, as suggested in another
>>> post, nor do you need to reproduce the copyright for every file used.
>>> With both source and binary distributions practice to include a
>>> license.txt that contains the required text, i.e. one file containing the
>>> complete header found at the top of each source file. That meets the
>>> requirements fine.
>> /practice/ = it is common practice
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> If I include a license.txt people might expect that license to apply to my
> program.
> What is common practice to distinguish between licenses from used sources
> and
> the license of the compiled program?

One way is to prepend the library name to its specific license file,
such as sdl_license.txt and derelict_license.txt.

BTW, I should note that I personally don't care if you include a license
file for Derelict or not. I should, since I did choose the BSD and not
something like public domain or the academic license, but I really
don't. You /do/ need to make sure that you include any license
information for libraries that Derelict binds to if you are distributing
the shared libraries along with your app, such as the LGPL for SDL.