WeakRef updated to better support Tango -- and a question

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Mar 27 12:44:41 PDT 2008

== Quote from e-t172 (e-t172 at akegroup.org)'s article
> Sean Kelly a écrit :
> > Can you produce makefiles that do everything required and also work with the DigitalMars make
tool?
> > Even better, can you get the makefiles to optionally generate a debug build as well, and still with
with
> > DigitalMars make?  It's that requirement that has forced us into using scripts in some instances, for
> > better or worse.
> Huh. I thought that nobody used make on Windows (except with MinGW)...

Well, Tango builds on Windows as well as *nix, so we need makefiles in both places.

> well, if I understand correctly, that means that, currently, there are
> different build systems (different scripts) for Windows and for Linux,
> right ? Therefore, using Makefiles on Linux and the "old" system on
> Windows would still be an enhancement.

It also creates maintenance issues.  Right now, the makefiles are basically identical but
for changing ".obj" to ".o" and the like.  The user portion of Tango doesn't use a makefile
but that's because it's simply easier to use a script there--the actual build process is much
simpler than the runtime library.

Sean