const

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Mar 27 13:38:57 PDT 2008

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> 3) The const regime is completely based on the idea of transitivity of
> const. The problem is, D is the *only* language with a notion of
> transitivity in it. A few academics know about it, but hardly any
> practicing programmers. There is essentially no popular literature about
> it. Mention transitivity to an experienced C++ or Java programmer, and
> you'll get a completely blank look.

Really?  Transitivity is covered in basic math and logic courses.  I'd think
they would grasp the idea immediately.  My only remaining issue with
const is simply the choice of keywords for each meaning, and specifically,
that the meaning of "const" not only changed from 1.0 to 2.0, but actually
weakened.

Sean