const

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Mar 27 14:25:27 PDT 2008

Walter Bright Wrote:
> I'm not so good at being a teacher,

Thank you for your long explanation. It seems you have done your best for D, and I respect that a lot. I'll try to understand the "const regime" again (especially when it's more debugged). If you are right, then eventually even dumb people like me will understand :-)

> Of course, if you're writing single-threaded one man programs of fairly
> modest size, const is not particularly useful. I quite agree with that.
> And in D you can effectively ignore const by just not using it, or by
> using D 1.0. The only place const is imposed is with the immutable
> string type.

Computer languages have to "scale", that usually means they have to "scale up", but making them able to "scale down" is useful too. Sometimes Java isn't much good at that "scaling down".

Bye,
bearophile