Why I (Still) Won't Use D

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Mar 27 15:02:32 PDT 2008

Benji Smith wrote:
> I first stumbled across the D programming language way back in 2002.

Long time, no see, Benji! Congrats on the kids! My youngest was born
after I got into D, and this year she'll start school. Man, doesn't time
fly!

> But the language was *ALMOST* ready.

True! And had we then known that in 2008 it still is, many of us would
be long gone. OTOH, D really is a lot better now.

> Here are some of the things that are most offputting:

Must say that I agree with almost all of it!

D1 is what you'd be interested in. I just looked at the differences
between D1 and D2, and found that there's almost nothing I'd honestly
need *when developing for customers*. And it's spec is _very_ stable,
almost paranoidly so.

D1 is a long-term thing. It's good enough for what one might expect
today, and the stability offers tool and library writers a chance to
write code without chasing a moving target. Also by this time, you
probably don't stumble on bugs unless you do something very unusual. And
it keeps getting bug fixes, at least until D3 (experimental) is
announced, AND when D2 becomes stable enough for library writers and
serious app writers to have moved to.

As to D2, for me it's mostly for playing with the language and concepts,
and generally having a toy that keeps feeling "new". ;-) It also keeps
up the interest and excitement of being on the bleeding edge of language
development.

But still, your points on D were well thought out and valid. I sure hope
they make a difference here.