Why I (Still) Won't Use D

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 27 15:17:40 PDT 2008

Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> making for 18 character types! Next, we have char[], vector<char>, and
>> string<char>, making for 54 string types, more than half of which are
>> implementation defined.
>
> vector<char> is a silly example and you know it. You could have made your
> point just fine with only 36 string types. :-)

No, I don't agree that it is a silly example. Why is a string
*fundamentally* different from an array? I believe it is a serious
mistake to have both.

I did throw a bone, though, by leaving off valarray<char> :-)

> I have to agree that C++ has a lot of baggage because of its backward
> compatibility. It is its greatest strength and its greatest weakness.

True, but that offers no reason to use C++ for new projects. Try writing
an internationalized string processing app in C++, and you're in for
endless pain and bugs.