WordCount performance

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Thu Mar 27 17:01:30 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:fsgqvr$vtd$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> D does match the optimization level of gcc: the GDC (gnu D compiler)
>>> uses gcc's optimizer and code generator.
>>
>> Is DMD ever likely to come close? Given the size TODO list for the D
>> front-end, I'm having trouble imagining you'll get much time to work on
>> the optimiser before 64 bit CPUs become completely dominant (forcing you
>> to rewrite most of the code generator).
>
> I think it already is close. My back end long ago reached the point where
> it takes a lot more effort to get only tiny gains.

Except for floating point optimizations, even if some loss of accuracy is
encountered (because temporaries are kept in FP registers for example). I
wish the DMD optimizer would do as good a job with FP as it does w/ int,
unless I tell it not to for cases where accuracy is paramount. In that case,
it would just have to fall back to what it's doing now.