const

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 27 17:08:10 PDT 2008

Darryl Bleau wrote:
> Could you expand on how this would help? Is it as simple as being able
> to guarantee that certain data is not going to be altered, thusly
> removing any need for guard locks et al?

I won't pretend I have any details worked out. But if you look at
functional programming, a key reason why it's so well suited to
multiprogramming is a function can be GUARANTEED that its arguments will
not be altered asynchronously. Furthermore, you can GUARANTEE that one
function has no timing dependencies on another function.

The more that can be guaranteed, the less places there are for bugs to
fester.