const

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 28 02:27:39 PDT 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Yes, sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the keywords chosen
> in themselves are confusing, and the thing I was referring to.

I know they are initially confusing - but there aren't any better. For
example, some people think "readonly" means one thing, and another group
of people think "readonly" intuitively means something quite different.
Other computer languages are not helpful because none of them do what D
is trying to do with const. And C++ overloads "const" for 3 diverse
meanings. At some point, you just have to pick a set of keywords and
decide what they mean for D.

What matters then is sticking to the defined meanings of those keywords
and using them consistently. We're moving into new territory, and so I
think we're entitled to come up with some new jargon for it.