const

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Mar 28 14:42:09 PDT 2008

Russell Lewis wrote:
> We're going to face this problem over and over, IMHO, until somebody can
> build up const from abstract first principles.  [...]
>
> Until we have this fundamental, mathematical understanding of const, we
> are just tweaking and hacking and patching in hopes we can come up with
> something good enough.

I can believe that Walter and crew have done something close to this
level of thinking and analysis about the const issue.  The problem is
that they haven't shown their work.  They've presented the conclusion
without the intermediate steps required to get to the conclusion.  In my
7th grade math class, I recall that not showing my work meant I got 0
credit even if the answer was right.

So it comes back to documentation again.  It could be a lot better than
it is.  I'd like to see an expanded/alternate version of 'here a const
there a const' that actually covers all aspects of D const, rather than
just trying to make fun of C++.  http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/const.html

--bb