Why I Use D

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:11:14 PDT 2008

On 30/03/2008, Scott S. McCoy <tag at cpan.org> wrote:
>  array[5..] and array[..5] seem to make perfect sense to me and get rid of
> kludge like $.

But those constructions don't get rid of $ entirely.

Sure, you'd be able to write array[5..] instead of array[5..$]. But
you still wouldn't be able to write array[5..-1] instead of
array[5..$-1]. (Not so in Python, I believe).

So it only buys you the luxury of not having to type $ in one very
special case. In my view, that makes keeping it more consistent than
dropping it. (And come on - it's only one character!)