const

Roberto Mariottini rmariottini at mail.com
Mon Mar 31 01:37:29 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Michel Fortin wrote:
>> But const in D 1.0 and D 2.0 doesn't mean the same thing does it?
>
> Right.

OK, finally I understand what the big "const problem" is: the keyword
'const' changed meaning from D 1.x to D2.x, and ...

[...]

> The thing about "const" is that the major language that uses it, C++,
> uses it most of the time with the meaning "read only view, but others
> can write to it." The other thing about "const" is that it gets written
> a lot, and (at least in C++) it tends to consume a lot of horizontal
> space. Using a longer keyword would be problematic.

... and in D2.x it took the same meaning of C++ 'const'.

The solution is simple: remove 'const' from the keywords.
Moreover, 'const' is not an English word: is an abbreviation of
'constant'. Another reason for dropping 'const' is that it's used in Pascal.

[...]
> We can (and essentially did) debate this forever. The bottom line is,
> it's just a word, and at some level it becomes the color of the bicycle
> shed problem.

The "Bicycle Shed Problem" is the most important still open problem in
Computer Science.
Let's try to resolve it here: vote another abbreviation of 'constant'.

1) c
2) co
3) cn
4) cs
5) ct
6) con
7) cns
8) cnt
9) cnn
10) cst
11) csn
12) ctt
13) cons
14) cnst
15) cstn
16) cnnt
17) csnt
19) cnstn
20) cstnt
21) cntnt
22) consta
23) cnstnt
24) contnt
25) costnt
26) consnt
27) constan
28) cnstant
29) costant
30) contant
31) consant
32) constnt
33) constat
34) constant

You can cast any number of votes.
My vote is for 1, 9, 22, 23, 29, 33 and 34.

Ciao
--
Roberto Mariottini, http://www.mariottini.net/roberto/
SuperbCalc, a free tape calculator: