const

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 31 20:19:52 PDT 2008

On 31/03/2008, Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:
>  And while on the subject of "readonly", am I misreading this or is
>  Walter basically the *only* one who thinks this sounds like it means
>  "does not change ever".

I've never heard anyone but Walter make that claim.

In fact, Walter's argument (...we'll never find any set of words that
everyone agrees on...) is your basic "divide and conquer" strategy. So
long as any suggestion made is not unanimous, Walter can claim that as
a reason for not going with it. In the case of "readonly", I suspect
that we largely /are/ unanimous in thinking that it conveys the right
impression, but then some would object because it's too long, and then
we start going round in circles again, starting with "ro", which not
everyone likes.

I, for one, would be /much/ happier with "readonly" or "ro" (or both -
there's a thought), than "const", to mean "read only view"