More keywords? Or fewer?

Davidson Corry davidsoncorry at comcast.net
Thu May 1 13:11:02 PDT 2008

Bruce Adams wrote:
> I agree with pretty much everything you've said. However, I'm not clear
> what point you're trying to make.

I often feel that way myself. <grin>

My point was that the language system ought to manage constness,
invariance, synchronization on objects shared by multiple threads or
processes, and so on, AUTOMATICALLY without requiring the programmer to
manage those things explicitly (via keywords or whatever else), just as
GC-enabled language systems now automatically manage memory allocation
without requiring the programmer to use keywords etc. to do memory
allocation explicitly.

And my counterpoint was to suggest that, if the language system DOES
provide keywords/properties/libraries by which const etc. CAN be managed
explicitly if desired (but not required), then those tools should be an
orthogonal doublecheck on the language's automatic inference of how
const etc. is to be managed, just as design by contract is a doublecheck
on the "contract" implied by a program's actual behavior.

-- Dai