why ; ?

Tomasz Sowinski tomeksowi at gmail.com
Mon May 5 01:32:40 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser Wrote:

> So the end of a statement would be marked by a newline character a la
> Python?

yes

> I usually like to keep my lines under 80 characters long for
> readability, and occasionally have long statements (especially if
> there's a ternary operator in there somewhere), so my vote is "nay".

Maybe a breakline symbol like in Ruby or VB for long statements?

> There are various other arguments against it, too (especially in that it
> makes parsing easier).

There is a meaningful newline character anyway to know where the // comment ends, so would removing ; make a big difference in parsing?

I'm not arguing. As I said, I know it's never going to happen, I was just curious about those "other various arguments".