Adapting to a specific processor

terranium spam at here.lot
Wed May 7 06:05:31 PDT 2008

Manfred Nowak Wrote:

> One might be able to notice the contradiction and please notice that
> AMD writes in Chapter 2.2:
> | Source-code transformations interact with a compiler’s code
> | generator, making it difficult to control the generated machine
> | code from the source level.
I believe, this is an idealistic approach. MS compiler is not affected by source-code transformations, gcc generates better code after transformation and I believe dmd is not so advanced as gcc, but language itself gives some syntactic aid to optimiser.

> Furthermore downs wrote:
> > In any case, all but a few of these can't be directly influenced
> > from code.
Short-circuit evaluation is influenced from code. As well as array notation.